As your team members enter into the lives of others and build relationships with the people of Pittsburgh, they’ll experience God working through them at projects such as these:
- Serve at the Boys and Girls Club Kids Camp. You will assist with many activities, including sports, crafts and games.
- Help in the food pantry, packing bags, stocking shelves, doing food distribution, cleaning, and helping to serve some of the many people in the heart of a tough area.
- Assist a housing organization by processing and organizing newly donated furniture, appliances and other goods in order to help families shop.
- Assist church volunteer staff move, remodel and re-launch a food bank and clothing ministry.
- Work with an international humanitarian organization be assisting the Staff in packaging and shipping materials and organizing their distribution area.
We have a Local Coordinator there that maintains connections throughout the year with the organizations that we serve so that our service and relationships are sustainable. You may meet them during your week as they pop in and out.
Participants are split up on six-person project crews for the work portion each day. In most cases, this is one adult and five youth, each person from a different church. In our experience, when groups allow us to mix participants up to make crews, individuals develop social and leadership skills, make new friends, and develop a closer bond with the people they are serving and their own youth group. If you have questions about this process or have specific requests, please give us a call. If needed, we can keep your group together, but still on crews of 6 people. (Due to age, participants at our preteen camps are kept together as a group, but still on crews of 6 people.)